During our lectures we discussed how to initially develop our ideas of character and story, we discussed the importance of considering the intended audience demographics when creating our project. We took part in a number of activities to try and explore and expand our story world based on what we remember from fairytales and what we imagine our characters to be lie and what the world they live in may feel.
Exercise – How do you remember the story of Beauty and the Beast?
Singing candles and teapots.
Belle runs away from forced marriage with a village leader, finds safety in a house with the beast. Gets close to beast and falls in love.
- Redemption – What the beast is like at the start. Cursed prince (hero’s Journey)
- Love > Obstacles – Love overcoming obstacles (conquering all) Redefining love from physical attraction to interior
- Vanity (Ugly sisters)
- Beast (animorphism)
- Candle stick – objects alive (anthropomorphism)
- Rose – Beauty – Doesn’t last forever
- Mirrors – Not reflecting physical but your sole, what you desire to see. Interactive.
Three little Pigs – Story World Ideas
A futuristic capitalist society where the rich are in power and are repressing the rights of the poor. The rich are protected by security services and live in fenced off zones with high security systems.
Three little pigs are a group of separatists who have found a way to live peacefully in the wastelands. When the security officers/councillors want to build a prison on the wastelands a battle ensues to protect property and rise up against the corporations.
Exploring Character Knowledge – Pig 1
- Pig one’s parents are part of the capitalist elite who rule the world.
- Pig one broke away when he fell in love with a pig he found going through the bins of his tower block for food.
- Pig one is now resented by the capitalist community and is an embarrassment to his parents. Pig one believes in a co-operative society where everyone is treated equally and work is shared fairly.
- Gets very angry at injustice and is happiest when all the people around him are happy.
- Pig one accepts life’s inevitability’s and as such death is responded to with a small amount of grief but he quickly moves on, as death is an unavoidable occurrence.