Today, myself and David went to gather more material for our SISE project. Our main aim was to further explore the area to take images back to the rest of the group who have yet to visit and to enable us to think about how we will use the area to best to create our final piece of work.
As well as gathering images in the immediate area, I had the chance to explore the nearby avonmouth village which was somewhere i’d not known about and was a source for some appealing images that showed the tight mix of residential and industrial buildings in the area.
While we gathered a number of fantastic images that will be useable in our pirce, our main aim was to gather some more interesting sounds as we had the use of some better equipment and the contact/underwater mics.
As it was a Sunday it was a lot quieter so we were able to isolate some of the more interesting sounds of the bridge more easily.
The contact mic once again was a really good choice when gathering interesting material. using the contact mic on the metal barriers on top we were able to create a unique sound that could be layered with other sounds to create a portrait or used on its own to highlight some of the more obscure sounds found in this location.
We were interested in testing out the waterproof mic and after a bit of debating about weather we thought the mic was really waterproof (it wasn’t ours to break) we decided to drop it down a water drain in the middle of the bridge. While we couldn’t really hear the results while we were there due to traffic noise, we were pleased to discover that we had recorded something that was quite surreal.
Overall I think the day was highly productive and it gave us some more ideas about what we wanted to include in the project and something more to give to the group to inspire them.
For my moving image project i chose a location that I have been focused on personally, this is the demise of Barry Island resort in South Wales.
Barry Island was once a highly successful seaside resort and sits fondly in my childhood as a place I enjoyed with family and also a place that introduced me to one of my passions that is visiting theme parks around the world.
Over the past 20 years the resort has declined and there has been a serious lack of investment that has meant the resort is now in a state of disrepair.
Although the resort is now getting some investment I wanted to highlight some of the neglect and in turn create a sense of place for people who may never have heard of barry Island or who may not have visited for many years.
I liked the atmospheric sound and in the editing program I overlapped some of the sound over subsequent clips to add some continuity.
Overall i’m happy with the film and believe it does offer an accurate sense of place. I think it would be interesting if I did the same project again and went for a different point of view, opting for a positive view of the location.
I think this highlights how the choice of shots used can have an impact on the audiences perception of a location.
As part as our ongoing introduction to filmmaking we have been tasked in our groups to create a short sequence of shots that tell a story. We have to include a number of camera angles and framing techniques and characters expressions to tell the story rather than relying on sound and dialogue.
Our first production meeting focused on generating an idea of what we could use as a story and what shots we could use to tell the story and create a certain mood. We had a number of options including a parody of the Good the Bad and the Ugly, replacing the guns with packets of biscuits.
Our final choice was to create a suspense sequence in the form of a poker game, using shots to show increasing tension throughout the game. We didn’t want this to be a normal game though and decided the payoff for the audience would be a joke at the end where we find out that the two characters were actually playing the card game snap.
We set about creating a storyboard to plan out the rough framing of the shots; this made us think about camera placement and the use of framing sizes we might need to highlight elements that would help tell the story.
After we had agreed on the storyboard we transferred the storyboard into shot list which we could use on the day to give precise direction to the camera operators so they had a general idea of what we wanted to achieve.
The next step in the process was to meet with Rod Gray to go over the storyboard and make any adjustments to the concept or technical sheets to enable us to create a better production. We also had to agree on production roles and source locations, cast and props.